Saturday, May 29, 2010

Doing Good, Feeling Good

I'm feeling rather proud of myself today, dear readers. Not only did I successfully cook a fish dish, I also turned it into a perfectly healthy meal. I almost gave in to the temptation to fry up the fish, but instead I seared and baked it. Good grief, my arteries are un-clogging as we speak! My skin is clearing up! I feel smarter and thinner already! It's almost like I'm cheating on myself - the part of myself that craves cheesy, carby, decadent goodness. Will I be able to keep this up? I'll let my evil weighing scale decide. Let's see if all this healthy, good-for-me food actually lives up to its promise.

Speaking of things that are good for you, folks, let me take you down to the Sony Club in Manhattan. What's going on there, you ask? Something grand. A spectacular gourmet celebration. All in the name of charity and making this world a better place. The T. J. Martell Foundation is having their 3rd Annual Gourmet Dinner on June 10th at 6:30pm. The foundation raises funds for leukemia, cancer and AIDS research. I'm helping out a friend and spreading the good word about this event.
Belgian master chef, Daniel Joly, is the owner and executive chef of Mirabelle at Beaver Creek in Colorado, and will be the foundation's guest chef for their gourmet dinner. Guests will also enjoy a performance by Grammy-winning singer-songwriter Rosanne Cash, as they enjoy the sunset from 35 stories above midtown NYC. Apart from the four-course seated dinner, there will also be live and silent auctions full of exotic travel experiences and autographed music memorabilia.

Now back to the menu. Dear readers, I'm salivating as I read it. I can't list all the items for you, but here's a teaser. Just the hors d'oeuvres are sublime enough to drive me insane. Oysters and caviar and lobster, oh my! Then begins the culinary onslaught of some amazing courses - first course features crusty langoustine; second course is a black truffle risotto ...

*swoons and falls off her chair*

... Wha?! What happened? I blacked out in a state of bliss. Seriously, the night would end on a high for me right there after the second course. But NO, the indulgence continues with a third course of grilled dover sole with citrus jam, and finally a roasted Colorado lamb with pomme bouchon and fava beans casserole. Of course, there is dessert too. A symphony (how appropriate) of apple - caramelized apple tartelette, milk mousse and lemongrass apple jelly, diced apples and apple sorbet. To buy the $350 per person tickets for this event, you can contact Kate Fitzpatrick, Communications Manager for the T. J. Martell Foundation, at 212-833-5444.

After that extravaganza, my little feat with this fish seems minuscule. But this simple dish packs a lot of flavor, and I'm just happy that I didn't burn it to a crisp or leave it raw in the center!

Citrus Glazed Trout (inspired by Kerstin's recipe, of Cake, Batter and Bowl)
Serves 2

Click here for printable recipe

Ingredients:
1 lb steelhead trout, cut into 4 fillets (but you can probably use any firm-flesh fish)
1/4 cup orange juice
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup soy sauce (I used less, because I'm not a huge fan)
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1 tbsp honey
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tbsp canola oil, for searing

Method:
1. Whisk together all the above ingredients, except for the oil, and marinate the fish in it for about 30 mins in the fridge.
2. Preheat the oven to 350 F.

3. Heat up the oil in a large skillet. Sear your trout fillets on both sides. Then place the fillets on a baking sheet and put in the oven for 10-12 mins.

4. Meanwhile, add the marinade to the skillet in which the fish was seared. Bring to a boil and reduce to desired consistency. Brush the fillets with this sauce when they come out of the oven. Serve with your choice of veggies on the side; I liked combining it with Ree's Green Beans and some creamy parmesan mashed potatoes.
Verdict: Although I was jumping up and down because the fish was perfectly cooked and tasted good, it's not like I'll ever swoon over a dish like this. This is health food after all. And I'm still me. So while I'm happy to be giving my jelly belly and thunder thighs a break once in a while with dishes like this, I won't be begging for seconds and thirds. You'll be happy to know though, that DH loves fish, and after having this, insisted that I make this at least once a month. Huh. Whaddaya know. The man never ceases to surprise me.

12 comments:

Cathy said...

lol - I love all kinds of fish...except fried. I seem to have an aversion to fried foods lately (probably a good thing for me). This looks delicious! If you want to "fake" fry, bake your fish and then put some pank mixed with a teeny bit of oil on top. You get the crispy coating and none of the badness.

Foodiewife said...

Muneeba, fish isn't #1 on my list of favorite things. But when I do make fish, I sear and roast it. It's my very favorite way. It's not PW, but I think it looks great. Kudos to you.

Joanne said...

Funny thing. I'm pretty sure I've never had fried fish. I hated fish up until about a year after I started eating healthier and so I just never had the opportunity to have it. It's probably for the best. Ignorance is bliss kind of a thing. I love the sauce on this!

Trissa said...

Ohh that fish does look delicious - I love the caramelization on top and so healthy for you too!

Varsha Vipins said...

That sounds like an Asian fish dish with all citrusy nice things n sauce..I may add a adash of sriracha too ,for heat..The whole plate looks immensely satisfying gal..:)
Hope u n baby B are all good..my kisses..
xo

dasunrisin said...

Wow that fish looks great! I'm scared to try it, because mine never tastes just the way I want it. Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

A lovely trout dish, yummy with the citrus glaze!

tasteofbeirut said...

I used to love fried fish, we would eat it all the time in Lebanon and in the summer by the beach; but this version is more practical, and I like the citrus juices in it as well as the honey and soy; sounds delicious!

Deborah said...

Wow - I wish I could attend that dinner! But your dinner looks amazing, as well!

Kerstin said...

LOL, I loved this post and I'm so glad the fish was tasty :)

nandini said...

OMG!! that looks so good!. Looks so professional - ofcourse it is made by a master chef!. Looks so comforting. Like the bean salad on the side.

jp said...

I was searching for a good glaze, thanks!